Ah. Okay. So apparently Saturday Night Live's Fred Armisen is now dating his fellow SNL co-star Abby Elliott. Abby is 23 and the daughter of SNL alum Chris Elliott. Fred is 43 and...is still technically married to Mad Men's Elisabeth Moss.
Fred and Elisabeth met on the set of SNL when Moss' Mad Men co-star Jon Hamm first hosted in October of 2008. They got engaged two months later and married last October. News reports say Armisen and Moss first split up in May, although the news of them breaking out hit recently just as the news of him dating Elliott came about. I specifically remember watching pre-show of the Golden Globes back in January and a host asking Elisabeth Moss why she became engaged and married so soon after meeting Fred, and her response, cheeks blushing, smile a-glow, was "Sometimes, you just know, you know?"
I wonder what she knew?
Because here's something my lovely friend Hannah and I knew back in June. We knew of Fred and Abby before anyone else. Yes, that's right, sometimes my living in Los Angeles has its perks. Sometimes it's Spiderman carrying his luggage across Hollywood Blvd at 2am, and sometimes its catching Fred Armisen and Abby Elliott seeing a comedy show at Upright Citizens Brigade on a brisk June night.
Now, it's not like we automatically knew they were together, since there were no signs of affection at all, because it simply looked like they were just two platonic pals enjoying (or not) a night of comedy. Here's what we did see:
- Fred walking alone and randomly walking past us while in line, looking somewhat confused
- Me silently freaking out
- Us noticing Abby Elliott and Matt Walsh talking in line a few people ahead of us
- Abby wearing something similar to this top:
- Abby and Fred sitting within viewing distance from us
- Fred staring at my "I (heart) NY" shirt (I had just come back from New York City the night before; I almost wore the SNL shirt I just bought; SNL is my favorite show of all time)
- Abby and Fred, along with most of the crowd, not really laughing at anything (the only time a UCB show had not been funny to me)
- Me passing by Abby waiting for Fred to get out of his seat after the show
- Abby smiling for no reason
- 40-year-old woman sitting next to Fred looking mean as hell
First I see Marilyn Manson and Evan Rachel Wood back together before anyone else knew (they came into my old job once and Manson bought 2 hot dogs from me and came back for more), and now a couple who most likely was a couple at the time even though no one else knew. Who's next? Edward Norton and Salma Hayek? Oprah and Gayle? Nick and Miley????